Dawn

Dawn

Tuesday, June 24, 2014

ISIS who? Mr Juncker or not; Mistakes; & Cleansing devils


So, no one had heard of ISIS a few weeks ago and now they're such a threat to the world that Iran and the USA might combine forces to kill them off. They must surely be in line for the Most Fearsome Newcomer award.

In the UK, Richard North continues to swim against the time in thinking the EU leaders will yet reject Mr Juncker, in favour of someone else: - "To defeat Mr Cameron, so publicly, and then rub his nose in it, is not in the best interests of the "colleagues". That alone makes one think that a deal must be in the offing. My best guess is that we will see Juncker withdraw from the race sometime this week, rather conveniently on "health" grounds." Vamos a ver.

Meanwhile, one or two readers will be interested to know that the book on the founding of the EU written by North and Christopher Booker - The Great Deception - is now available (free) in PDF format. As I've said, it's a fascinating read.

Yesterday, I got 2 emails which were not from the people they purported to be from. In other words, their emails had been taken over. One had an attachment re Barcelona which turned out to be a spiel for some miracle diet program. They get cleverer and cleverer these people and now I wonder whether my own email has been compromised.

Before I went off on the camino, I left my cleaner with a list of tasks, one of which was to take 3 bags of plastic, paper and glass from the garage to their respective bins down the road. My mistake was not to say 'But keep the bags'. It reminded me of a cartoon I saw when I was 14: The Chinese emperor - surrounded by smiling Mongols - is saying to his chief engineer: "When I told you to build a great wall to keep out the Mongols, couldn't you have checked to see what side of the wall the Mongols were on before you finished it?" Possibly by the great Mike Williams. Whom I've just discovered is Scouse. Naturally.

Which reminds me . . . On Merseyside, one can say things like "He didn't wave. He mustn't have seen me." Until last night, I hadn't realised this construction is unique to Liverpool, being of Irish origin. That said, my spellcheck recognises mustn't.

Finally . . . In a village near Burgos, the Corpus Christi celebrations have, for 400 years, included several men dressed as the Devil jumping over a group of babies. This, apparently, relieves them of the 'original sin' they were born with. More interesting to watch than baptism, I imagine.

No comments: