Sunday, July 19, 2015

Los Toros; Newish English words; 'New' Spanish(?) word; India's Parsees; & Daughters!

To the horror of rabid (and not-so-rabid) aficionados, Spain's new left-wing councils are either threatening to stop fiestas involving one form of bull-baiting or another or actually ending them. Some councils are going halfway and putting their plans out to referendums (referenda, if you're Alfie Mittington). This is another blow to the Fiesta Nacional. Will it survive the 21st century? And is Hemingway spinning in his grave?

A new-to-me English word:- Churnalism - "A form of journalism in which press releases, wire stories and other forms of pre-packaged material are used to create articles in newspapers and other news media in order to meet increasing pressures of time and cost without undertaking further research or checking".

And a not-so-new related word: Clickbait:- "A pejorative term describing web content aimed at generating online advertising revenue, especially at the expense of quality or accuracy, relying on sensationalist headlines to attract click-throughs and to encourage forwarding of the material over online social networks. Clickbait headlines typically aim to exploit the "curiosity gap", providing just enough information to make the reader curious, but not enough to satisfy their curiosity without clicking through to the linked content."

Finally on words . . . A new-to-me Spanish word: Jibarizar, which isn't in the Royal Academy dictionary but may mean: 'To reduce to the essentials/basics'. And might be Argentinean Spanish. As in:- El gobierno argentino acusa a Repsol de “jibarizar” a  la  petrolera así como de “maltratar” los recursos naturales y los yacimientos argentinos.

I heard a podcast yesterday on the Zaroastrian Parsees of India. Parsee is the same word as Farsi, as F and P are interchangeable in Persian, and I knew about Iran's Parsees. Indeed, I've even seen some of their famous Towers of Silence, outside Yazd. But I didn't know that India's Parsees are known for their keen sense of humour. Which sounded to me rather like the Scouse brand. Must visit them sometime and cross swords. Meanwhile, there'll be a good Parsee joke tomorrow, when you've digested the links. If not, you won't understand it.


Finally . . . Sitting at my usual outside table at my favourite tapas bar last night, I overheard this comment from a teenage daughter to her father: "Don't be a moron! Please, please. Don't be a moron!" It brought back happy memories. Though I don't recall the politeness, in my case.

10 comments:

Alfred B. Mittington said...


As a matter of fact, the TRULY correct form of the plural would be Referendae…

PlurAl

Mike the Traditionalist said...

I have to back Colin in this discussion. If referendum were a noun in Latin then it would be a second declension neuter noun. For example here is the noun declined. As one can see there is no -ae- ending. As a direct object of a verb the accusative plural is referenda.

case singular plural

Nominative referendum - referendi
GenItive referendi - referendorum
Dative referendo - referendis
Accusative referendum - referenda
Ablative referendo - referendis

Alfred B. Mittington said...


My dear Mike,

When I wrote 'truly', I was of course referring to the medieval spelling as proposed by the grammar of Anselmo de Troyes, as accepted by the Council of Le Puys in 1334 (and reconfirmed by the Council of Trent, for that matter) for all matters ritual.

Nevertheless: thank you for your contribution.

CanonicAl

Mike the Traditionalist said...

Many thanks Alfred for your contribution thanking me for my contribution. I studied Classical Latin and achieved a matriculation while in High School. I also studied Ecclesiastical Latin but never sat an exam. It was a long time ago in the fifties so a bit rusty now. My wife is related to Anselmo de Troyes but her family always backs away when I mention it.

Phil Adams said...

Come on guys, referendums is simple, unpretentious and correct.

The OED even considers it preferable for linguistic/historical/logical reasons.

Colin Davies said...

ROFL!

Alfred B. Mittington said...


Dear Mike,

I must admit I can understand your family-in-law's reservations. Anselmo was not a pleasant character. With your - impressive - education, you surely remember that he once had half a dozen innocent Benedictines burned at the stake for suggesting in public that angels don't dance! Were I related to such a fellow, I would also keep it quiet. But he was an outstanding grammarian, who deserves to be heard!

By the by: whatever made you chose such a very eccentric subject for your higher education?

Alfred

Mike the Traditionalist said...

Hello Alfred! I was educated in Canada and to gain a junior matriculation I had to study nine subjects. Religion, chemistry, physics, World history, English literature, French, Classical Latin, geometry and algebra. Geometry and algebra were split over four years. It was a four year course and to gain a senior matriculation one had to do a fifth year. There were exams four times a year with the finals in June and one had to pass all subjects to get the matriculation. I loved Latin but was not keen on French and just scraped a 54 percent on the finals in my fourth year. Living in a community that spoke French Canadian didn't help at all as I was taught Parisian French. I went to a private college called St. Charles which is located in the city of Sudbury in Ontario. The college was run by the Basilian Fathers and I worked during the summer months for Falconbridge Nickel Mines as a student to pay the fees. They didn't hire me in the summer of 1958 so I couldn't pay for the fifth year. I found a job in Elliot Lake, Ontario where I was trained as a high pressure oil burner serviceman. I learned plumbing, sheet metal work as well. The town collapsed in the summer of 1959 and I left for England and never went back to live. By the way French Canadian was locally called Pepsi as it wasn't the real Coca Cola.

Alfred B. Mittington said...


Blimey and Parblue, Michel!

Things may have changed a wee bit, but I will soon post a warning on my blog for young people not to get their education in Canada! That curriculum might have been designed by the great Anselmo himself, in one of his more 'tortured' moods (you get my drift, I imagine).

One day we ought to get together for a drink so that you may describe to me how it was for a fellow with a solid classical education to work among them beasts of the oil industry… You must have some interesting anecdotes!

Your, ABM

Mike the Traditionalist said...

You are too late my friend. Canada today is not the Canada of my youth. Education standards varied from province to province and Ontario had the highest standards and best Universities. That no longer applies as now you need four years of high school just to get a job as a street sweeper. Talk about dumbing down! In the junior schools we were taught English grammar as if it were a foreign language. "British English" spelling was paramount and if you sat a chemistry exam and spelt "color" as the Americans do you would have been deducted points. I usually read this blog every day but haven't commented for ages because of my personal circumstances. Comments are not as they used to be when we had rustypin, WunHungLo and Cade. So if I don't comment for some time it is not because I have been offended. And before I close here is some "church Latin" for you. Dative of possessor. Liber est puero. "The book is to the boy." Into everyday English it translates as "The boy has a book".

Search This Blog