Dawn

Dawn

Wednesday, July 15, 2015

The Spanish economy; The human body; The DT; Pooping pigeons; My liquid solution; Our flea market; & Grexpressions.

Following Alex Tsipras’ humiliating capitulation to the Troika this Monday, one can imagine governments across Europe breathing a collective sigh of relief, tinged no doubt with a little schadenfreude. The loudest sigh was probably not in Berlin, as one might suspect, but in Madrid. Says Don Quijones. Click here for his (spot-on) rationale.

Interesting fact: The human body is made up of c. 7 octillion[?] atoms, which are mostly empty space. If you lost your empty atomic space, your body could fit into a cube less than 1/500th of a centimetre on each side. HT to The Guardian for this, via Prospect magazine. What a piece of work is a man! . . . this quintessence of dust. HT to Shakespeare for this.

The Daily Telegraph has surpassed itself. Spot the 3 mistakes in this brief text:- . . . the English electoratewho will ruightly see this as a gross imterference in their domestic affairs. And, yes, I know there are typos in my own posts but, then, I don't pay anyone to sub-edit my stuff. Alfie Mittington comes free. I'm sorry to say.

A town in Cataluña is reported to be feeding contraceptive pills to pigeons to stop them breeding uncontrollably. Or at all. Pontevedra's council has been doing this for some months now. With no apparent success. I shall take my strong water pistol to my favourite bar again this lunchtime. Though I shall, as usual, feed my friendly - and cheeky - sparrows. I could swear they recognise me.

Pigeon Popper/Potter

Talking of Ponters . . . Whatever they think of the encroachment of local gypsies - both domestic and Rumanian - the up-market(?) traders in our Sunday flea-market can't be too happy with one of them shouting out, every 30 seconds, 'Cheap! Cheap! Cheap!'. I wouldn't have thought.

Finally . . . Some new grexpressions in the latest issue of Private Eye.


Footnote: A useful site for foreigners: The Citizens Advice Bureau Spain.

No comments: