Dawn

Dawn

Friday, October 23, 2015

The RC church: The price of bread; Gypsies; & Living/working in Spain.

THE CATHOLIC CHURCH: Ahead of the December elections, the left-of-centre PSOE party is promising to laicise the constitution and to diminish the role of the church in education. One can only guess at the frantic rearguard action taking place behind the scenes. And the future exhortations from the pulpits to vote PP.

ELECTRICITY: Since 2008 the price of this here has risen by 30 times more than that of bread, to reach the highest level in the EU. It's now double what it was when La Crisis began.  One wonders why.

GYPSIES: I'm sorry I didn't go to Vigo on Wednesday. For I might have witnessed a shoot-out on the motorway between rival gangs of traders. These are always referred to as a "settling of accounts" and this one was between a local clan and an angry one from Zamora. Call me sceptical but I don't expect any convictions.

WI-FI: Hallelujah! I can now get my contracted 3 megas at certain times of the day. This is 6 times more than what I got from Telefonica but less than 10% of that of my regular bar. BTW . . . Telefonica doubled my speed to a magnificent 1 mega after I told them I was moving to another provider.

FINALLY:

http://elpais.com/elpais/2014/12/17/inenglish/1418816737_691083.html

No comments: