Dawn

Dawn

Wednesday, September 19, 2018

Thoughts from Galicia, Spain: 19.9.18

Spanish life is not always likeable but it is compellingly loveable.
- Christopher Howse: A Pilgrim in Spain. 

If you've arrived here because of an interest in Galicia or Pontevedra, see my web page here. Garish but informative.

Matters Spanish
  • As if the besieged and hapless Mrs May didn't have enough Brexit problems on her plate, the Spanish government – like the one it recently replaced – is determined (with the support of Brussels) to take maximum advantage from the process in respect of its aspirations/ambitions for Gibraltar. Despite the fact that at least 99% of the folk who live there reject these out of hand. But this is hardly unexpected. It's the modern version of war. And some provisions of the 1713 Treaty of Utrecht need to be replaced.
  • The rejection of extradition requests works both ways, it seems.
  • Yesterday was the final day of free access to The Local. And they went out with a blitz of these items, very possibly all published previously:-
  • As it happens, I've been producing a schedule of (most of) the lists they've been issuing this year, aiming to post it at the end of December. It can be found below this post.
  • Finally on this . . . Here's Fiona Govan explaining why they've done this and why we should now pay for (most of) their stuff. I'm pondering this . . .
Matters Galician and Pontevedran
  • Yesterday, the president of our community asked me to give her and her kids a lift up from town at 3pm. As we waited for the latter outside their school, she called the council to tell them there was a nest of vicious and potentially fatal Asian wasps (velutinas) in our communal garden. In a panicky tone, she told them that 2 gardeners had already been attacked and there was a danger to the many children using the pool. After the call, she admitted the wasps were really only the normal variety and that nest was a long way away from the pool. But she'd felt the need to lie so that the council would act quickly. I wasn't impressed at this selfish subterfuge and sent a message to my elder daughter about this Fuck-the-Folk-Who-Really-Do-Have-a-Velutina-Problem attitude. Unfortunately, I sent it to lady in question, as she was the last person who'd messaged me . . . But at least it gave me the chance to tell her what I thought of her lies. She didn't give the impression of being even a tiny bit remorseful.
  • The velutinas are something of a nasty plague in the city, having arrived from the east. Here in Galicia the villagers use numerous names for them, as per this table supplied by the council. Some (most?) are corruptions of the real name. Which city sophisticates find very amusing. Which is probably justified in the case of Ghalopinas africanis at least:-
  • I guess I have to cite the peon of praise to Pontevedra city in yesterday's Guardian. It's pretty accurate and I suppose it'd be churlish of me to say exactly where it isn't. I'm very pro the council's actions in general but there are, inevitably, downsides to them. Not everyone is a winner. The losers include drivers who have to proceed everywhere at 30kph/19mph. And who can never find a place to park in the city, except in one of the underground parkings. These are not cheap and, interestingly, the most expensive one is near the council offices. But I guess the mayor and his mates can park there for free.
  • I wish to God my Spanish friends would stop sending me Wotsap citations of the bloody article. Five already this morning. Including one from Finland!
© [David] Colin Davies, Pontevedra: 19.9.18

No comments: