Dawn

Dawn

Thursday, September 20, 2018

Thoughts from Galicia, Spain: 20.9.18

Spanish life is not always likeable but it is compellingly loveable.
- Christopher Howse: A Pilgrim in Spain. 

If you've arrived here because of an interest in Galicia or Pontevedra, see my web page here. Garish but informative.

Matters Spanish
  • I am confused. The Local is supposed to have gone behind a paywall and, as you might expect, on Tuesday night I was told I couldn't access a page because I'd used up my quota for the month. But last night I got and read this page in my RSS feed. And then this one. And this one. Teething problems? Or am I only barred from 'premium' pages? 
  • The rapacious Spanish banks, reports Don Quijones here, are having a few problems with Brussels. But they still have friends in the Spanish judicial system. So, relief for customers could be a long time coming.
  • Talking of unpopular corporate rogues, here's something on electricity prices in Spain.
  • More interesting, perhaps, is this Fox News item - via my RSS feed! - on Spanish charcoal manufacturers.
Matters Galician and Pontevedran
  • This is not good news for the forces of order along our coast: Colombia continues to break records for cocaine production. The South American nation produced a record estimated 1,379 tonnes of cocaine last year – up 31% on 2016.
  • Those vecinos de O Vao/Bao . . . . The gypsy settlement, said La Voz de Galicia yesterday, is a storehouse of stolen goods. There's a surprise.














  • Which reminds me . . . Apart from the 2 permanent gypsy settlements near my house, there's a rather-more-temporary one on the other side of town. Situated just before the pilgrims' hostal(albergue), it's the first thing most of them see when entering the town. Walking past it this morning, I took to wondering how many of the decrepit vehicles there had passed the compulsory inspection mine had a few days ago. Not many, I'd guess. As for driving licences and insurance . . . More doubts. As to why none of the various police forces do anything about this, your guess is as good as mine,
Finally . . . 
  • I witnessed a spiders' fight to the death on my bathroom wall yesterday. Surprisingly, the smaller (long-legged) one got the advantage of the larger one which had wandered into a silken strand and had got it wrapped round itself. David and Goliath. Sort of:-

No comments: