Dawn

Dawn

Thursday, January 10, 2019

Thoughts from Heald Green, England: 10.1.19

Spanish life is not always likeable but it is compellingly loveable.
- Christopher Howse: A Pilgrim in Spain. 
England
  • On my last full day in the UK, I return to 2 themes:-
  1. Honda Civics: At the end of the cul-de-sac my daughter lives in, there are 4 of these on different drives. I suspect I'd have to scour all of both Hamburg and Cologne to find this many there. And probably Paris as well.
  2. UK prices: My sister and I had a 'sandwich lunch' yesterday, at a 4-star hotel of her election As well as a sandwich each, she had a coffee and water, while I had a small (125cl) glass of white wine. With tip, the bill was £32, say 35 euros. The small wine alone was £6, or £30 a bottle. While I, as a capitalist, have no problem with places charging what the market will bear, it left me wondering how many customers are spending their own money at this level.
  • One such customer is the organisation my sister has worked for all her life - the Catholic church. It holds regular conferences and meetings there, she told me. Financed at these prices by. . . ?
Spain
Brexit
  • Here's the latest (non)news.
The USA
Spanish
[David] Colin Davies

No comments: