Dawn

Dawn

Thursday, October 10, 2019

Thoughts from Heald Green, Cheshire, England: 10.10.19

Spanish life is not always likeable but it is compellingly loveable.   
                  Christopher Howse: A Pilgrim in Spain
Spanish politics
Spanish Life
Galicia Life
  • Such is the size of the problem of marauding wild boars, the Xunta has given hunters extraordinarily free rein on killing them for a temporary - but undefined - period in 33 councils.
  • Talking of serious nuisances . . .  The Asian Wasp/Hornet (La Velutina) continues its advance across the region. As many as 60 of their nests are destroyed every day now.
The UK 
  • Driving north last week and west and east this week, I clocked frequent motorway signs warning - I assume - truck drivers that export document requirements might change on November 1, and exhorting them to be ready. I assume they've also got them for truck drivers actually heading south towards Europe and not Scotland. Which is, for the moment at least, still part of the UK.
The UK, The EU and Brexit
  • Richard North remains decidedly pessimistic: We seem to be marching inexorably to a no-deal. So far has sentiment reversed - from the Johnson bluster of a "one in a million" chance of a no-deal - that the only real surprise would be an agreement on a deal. But the chances of turning water into wine might be greater.
The USA
  • The Republicans in Congress are not as supine as some critics suggest. Trump risks losing Senate support just as he needs it most the disquiet over the US withdrawal from Syria. We can but hope.
  • A nice cartoon:-
  • And something seen in a book store yesterday:-

The Way of the World
  • When my daughters were very young, they enjoyed being chased by the 'bum biter'. As do my grandchildren now. But my daughter has counselled me to stop, as she fears an innocent comment in school will result in a visit from the Social Services paramilitary. Thank god I'm resisting the temptation to mildly slap them for bad behaviour . . . .
Nutters Corner
  • Right wing US pastor, E.W. Jackson: The Democrats are liars because they are the party of the devil.
Shysters Corner 
Spanish
English 
  • HT to my friend Phil for this - as much as anyone would want to know about the use of the apostrophe in English. Where you'll learn why it's wrong to talk of the 'possessive case'.
Finally
  • The UK Prime Minister and I will both be in Liverpool today. Him for a meeting with his Irish oppo and me to deposit a Probate application at the Registry there, and to lunch with my sister and brother-in-law. I do hope the PM's plans don't cause me any inconvenience.

No comments: