Spanish life is not always likeable but it is compellingly loveable.
Christopher Howse: A Pilgrim in SpainThe Spanish Economy
- I imagine this will bring some flaky folk out in force. Can these birds really have homes (in trees?) that can weigh 200 kilos?
- This is a series of maps which certainly will help you understand Spain's complex history. Here's a sentence - re the distribution of North African genes - which astonished me: The lighter the colour the bigger the amount of Berber genes, which is surprising considering that Galicians- known for their Celtic roots – are the regional group with the most North African blood. You don't have to reject the Galician emphasis on Celtic 'roots' to find this bizarre. But, if it's true, how/why?
- In only a few minutes last month, I noted these 9 shops in Pontevedra which have English words in their name:-
And this one, which - if it were in Castellano - would be Herpes in Gallego . . .
- Things you see here which you rarely do in Spain:-
- Shop assistants who let you go first, rather than walk across in front of you or compete with you for a door.
- Drivers who stop where it says Yield on the slip road entering a motorway(autovía/autopista)
- As I have stated strongly before, and just to reiterate, if Turkey does anything that I, in my great and unmatched wisdom, consider to be off limits, I will totally destroy and obliterate the Economy of Turkey (I’ve done before!). Beyond megalomaniacal insanity. And yet, many believe he'll get a 2nd term.
- Macron's mates.
- Nice comment: Facebook is the place where thinking went to die. And where 'sharing' is not about giving something to someone else but simply showing off.
- Is this the biggest (non-Ffart) imbecile in the USA? Or just the imbecile with the biggest mouth?
- Word of the Day: Trabalengua
- I was wondering yesterday, as you do, if any language other than English uses an apostrophe plus S to indicate possession. Apparently not. Very handy. Nice to see my 2 year old grandson has already mastered it.
- Therein . . . A new verb - 'To genocide'? Ugly.