Spanish life is not always likeable but it is compellingly loveable.
Christopher Howse: A Pilgrim in SpaiSpanish Politics
- Catalan clashing.
- A report on a recent elections head-to-head.
- The monarchs and their kids get a mixed reception in Cataluña. If they expected anything else they're rather naive.
- Our Oz friend comes up against roundabouts/circles and makes the discovery we've all made.
- Central European leaders and their allies are siphoning off tens of millions of pounds a year in EU farming subsidies through “legalised corruption”, an investigation has claimed. Spain seems to have lost the mantle of frontrunner in these corruption stakes
- Trump simply cannot help himself from embellishing the truth to make it far more dramatic than it was. This time it was during his announcement of the killing of the ISIS leader, when he said that at the end he was crying and whimpering. Senior officials have no idea what he’s talking about or which orifice he dragged that one out of.
- Some republicans are ready to deal in the truth, it seems
- An auditor sacked from the Vatican has claime he was targeted after investigating secret funds linked to a west London property investment that is now at the centre of an internal inquiry. Anyone shocked?
- Be warned. Sadly, unless Airbnb improves its dispute mediation, rogue hosts will continue to get away with playing dirty. It is high time Airbnb forced them to clean up their act.
- This ain't a huge surprise. One constraint is the daft Spanish belief that they're 'bad at languages'. Because - for one thing - Spanish has only 5 vowels and they're afraid to make a fool of themselves struggling with others.
- Needless to say, the courier company advised me they couldn't deliver the product to my home yesterday. And again offere several options for alternative arrangements. And again then told me it was too late to change anything. Three times. Oh, and the button for changing the text from English to Spanish (for the benefit of my neighbour) didn't work. Another example of malfunctioning technology. Which reminds me . . . I need to book a train journey with RENFE . . .