Spanish life is not always likeable but it is compellingly loveable.
Christopher Howse: A Pilgrim in SpainSpanish Politics
- The Corner takes a look at the looming elections here and here. I think we can be confident the the November results will resolve nothing other than how large Spain's far right party is. Not a nice prospect.
- The private airline, Air Europa, will shortly be under new ownership. Whether this is the IAG Group or Iberia depends on whether you read the British (and international?) news or the Spanish news. Either way, it's a major development for Madrid's airport.
- One can understand one bad apple but six!
- More positively . . . Spain, they say, is the best place in Europe to retire to, on balance. I wasn't asked but go along with this. Second is Finland, assuming - I guess - you don't mind being in the dark for most/all of the winter.
- Spain's beautiful northern beaches. On all of which the rain falls occasionally in summer. And not just on those in Galicia!
- As this bit of nonsense is in Galicia somewhere, I can't help wondering if it's near the family estate of the car-hating mayor of Pontevedra city.
- Some cynics have suggested it's the result of a ‘contract of brothers-in-law’ - un contrato de cuñados. Who'd be surprised? It's a question that occurs to me quite often.
- It's not only in Spain that a far fight party is gaining strength. The German AfD party is way ahead of the game.
- When you’re willing to put someone and their family in harm’s way in order to defend your hero, you’re not a politician or a pundit, you’re a cult member. Blog post here.
- In Glasgow university, students are given ‘trigger warnings’ about potentially upsetting scenes in classic fairytales. Lecturers admitted students were cautioned about ‘violent material’ in the stories by the Brothers Grimm. You almost have to laugh.
- It's far worse than you ever suspected.
- Fox News continues to promote the most laughable and inane conspiracy theories as a way to defend Donald Trump against impeachment. On Fox Business’ Maria Bartiroma’s show, a far-right crackpot claimed that the House impeachment inquiry is really a secret ritual carried out by a cult, with Nancy Pelosi as the high priestess and Adam Schiff the high priest leading the ritual. BUT . . . This guy is an amateur. No pedophilia accusations? No human sacrifice claims? No demon possession? A real right-wing crackpot would have made all those accusations and more, especially if they’re going to invoke Hillary Clinton, the great Jezebel of modern American politics.
- I ordered something from Amazon for delivery here in the UK. But, distracted by the Amazon Prime free offer trick, I failed to change the default delivery address. Last night I was informed it'd be going to my home in Pontevedra today and given the chance to change this. Even though I immediately tried to do this, I was told it was too late. So, what was the point of the option? Technology gone irritatingly mad. Now I have to embroil my neighbour in this mess. Or at least try to. I suspect it'll end up back in the UK!