Dawn

Dawn

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Vistas of Pontevedra’s re-modelled Plaza de España, in front of our town hall. This, it’s said, will not be a place for short-term parking but will be kept free for pedestrians. But we will see.


















There are a couple of design features which seem a tad dubious to me. The sandy areas around the statue of heroes of the 1809 Battle of Pontesampaio slope down towards the paving stones. When it rains heavily – as it occasionally does here – the sand runs onto the stones.

And this is a close up of what I think is an air vent, faithful to the current vogue for rusty metal. It’s so ugly it must be the work of Galicia’s leading architect, Cesar Portela.



On a happier note, and at the other end of the design scale, here’s one of the young ladies who chat to me during my daily lunch of tapas and a copita of Rioja.



And, finally, here’s what I’ve just noticed outside my window as I type this at 8.15am. The river Lerez, it seems, is running with blood.





No comments: