Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Vistas of Pontevedra’s re-modelled Plaza de España, in front of our town hall. This, it’s said, will not be a place for short-term parking but will be kept free for pedestrians. But we will see.


















There are a couple of design features which seem a tad dubious to me. The sandy areas around the statue of heroes of the 1809 Battle of Pontesampaio slope down towards the paving stones. When it rains heavily – as it occasionally does here – the sand runs onto the stones.

And this is a close up of what I think is an air vent, faithful to the current vogue for rusty metal. It’s so ugly it must be the work of Galicia’s leading architect, Cesar Portela.



On a happier note, and at the other end of the design scale, here’s one of the young ladies who chat to me during my daily lunch of tapas and a copita of Rioja.



And, finally, here’s what I’ve just noticed outside my window as I type this at 8.15am. The river Lerez, it seems, is running with blood.





3 comments:

Ferrolano said...

Colin, when you next take your camera into your lunch time bar, would you please as Rebecca (??) to smile and, turn the bottle through 90 degrees so that we can see what we are likely to be offered when we stop by Pontevedra – CVNE perhaps?

Colin said...

Well, I would but it's taken me 10 years to get this hasty foto of Maria and it nearly cost me my camera. By reqwuest, I will supply pix of the others, who are much more accommodating.

Mike the Traditionalist said...

Show us who works behind the counter and maybe a few willing customers. Spanish people usually fall over themselves to get into a picture.

Search This Blog